142 George Lane, London, England, E18 1AY

Diabetes and Tight Foreskin

A comprehensive study conducted in the United Kingdom focused on a group of 100 men ranging in age from 17 to 82 years, with an average age of 38 years. The study aimed to investigate the prevalence and characteristics of phimosis, a condition characterized by the tight foreskin, in this population.

The researchers found that among the participants, 31% had a lifelong history of phimosis, meaning they had experienced this condition since birth or early childhood, while the remaining 69% had acquired phimosis, meaning it developed later in life. It is worth noting that the prevalence of acquired phimosis was significantly higher than that of lifelong phimosis.

Additionally, the study revealed that among the men with acquired phimosis, 32% had a medical history of diabetes. This finding indicated a notable association between acquired phimosis and diabetes. In fact, the data showed that men with a history of diabetes were 6.7 times more likely to develop phimosis compared to those without diabetes.

Moreover, the researchers observed that phimosis could potentially serve as a warning sign for diabetes. Surprisingly, among the men who had acquired phimosis but had no previous history of glucose metabolism disorders or diabetes, 12% were found to have diabetes (8%) or impaired fasting glycemia (4%). This prevalence of diabetes was higher than the national average in the UK, which stood at 3.6% during the study period. These findings suggest that the presence of phimosis in some individuals may indicate an increased likelihood of diabetes or related metabolic disorders.

It is important to note that balanitis, a condition characterized by inflammation of the glans penis, is commonly associated with diabetes. The recurrent infections and scarring resulting from balanitis are likely contributing factors to the development of phimosis in individuals with diabetes.

In summary, this UK-based study shed light on the prevalence and implications of phimosis in a diverse group of men. The findings indicate that acquired phimosis is more common than lifelong phimosis and that there is a significant association between phimosis and diabetes. Furthermore, the study suggests that phimosis could potentially serve as an indicator of diabetes, as a higher proportion of men with phimosis were found to have diabetes or impaired fasting glycemia compared to the general population. The study also emphasized the relationship between balanitis and phimosis in individuals with diabetes, highlighting the role of recurrent infections and scarring in the development of this condition.

We provide is comprehensive treatment of tight foreskin (Phimosis) and also we treat with tight foreskin with diabetics. In some patients , BXO or lichen sclerosis is also present which required treatment in the form of topical steroids, antibiotics, anti fugal and circumcision in most of the advanced BXO.

Reference:

SJ Bromage, A Crump, I Pearce

Phimosis as a presenting feature of diabetes

BJU Int, 101 (2007), pp. 338-340

BOOK CONSULTATION NOW

Related posts

Have Questions?